N-Gage Web Redesign

 

N-Gage was a mobile gaming platform that ran on a variety of Nokia phones. At some point it was determined that the home page of the website was not meeting the needs of the stakeholders involved in the project. In particular, it was not giving experienced users a reason to return to the site, nor was it properly engaging new users. I was the primary designer for this project and performed the research, wireframe design, and user testing. This project shows a full design cycle, from developing the initial requirements with stakeholders to the final wireframes.

 

 

This is a screenshot of the N-Gage home page before we started the redesign. Stakeholders, including marketing, product management, the live site team, and the community team, all had a variety of issues with the page.

home_page_content.png
home_page_actions.png

I worked with these stakeholders to collect and prioritize what content actions would be available on the N-Gage home page. While different stakeholders understandably had different requirements, we eventually settled on a set of priorities to which everyone agreed.

To get a feeling for how other commerce sites structured their home pages, I reviewed a variety of sites, including Nike and Hoefler & Frere-Jones. For each of these sites, I deconstructed their content into the basic elements and rebuilt them in a wireframe style, filling in some N-Gage content.

I showed the original sites and the wireframes to key stakeholders and collected feedback on which aspects they preferred. A few of the comments: a large splash area was desired, as was a larger amount of games shown on the home page.

 
 

Because the design team lacked a dedicated user researcher and we lacked the time and budget to run a full-scale study, I set out to gather some quick feedback from folks around the office. I sat with five co-workers who weren’t directly involved with this feature and performed a series of semi-structured interviews.

Their comments ranged from specific critiques on visual placement and content to suggestions of entirely new features. Several of the comments were incorporated into the next rounds of wireframes, including the addition of a section targeting specific phones that new users were likely to have, and a stronger emphasis on the community aspects of the site.

The final wireframe for the redesign was readily approved by all of the stakeholders. This was due in a large part to their inclusion in the early stages of the design process and agreeing on a set of priorities. Although the improvements never went live, the stakeholders were all excited about the new face of the web site.